Re: Performance mods

The "hot" set-up now is to use an electric blower. It doesn't take
power fron the engine directly, no weird plumbing to get the exhaust
pipes to and from the turbine, less heat, no oiling problems, no turbo
lag, easy to control. The neon set started out using modified leaf
blowers, now there are some companies selling units made for this.
This might be the way to go and it is probably cheap. Of course to
realize the full potential intercoolers would help. Just remember the
"weakest link theory". If you strengthen something the next weakest
link will break like the transmission, wheel bearings, C/V joints,
clutch etc. On the subject of velocity of the fuel-air charge, on a
forced induction engine the velocity of the charge is less important
than the pressure and temperature so porting and polishing are of
limited value. What becomes VERY important is the timing of the
ignition and the camshaft and the compression ratio. A forced
induction engine is very prone to predetonation and overboost both of
which induce high combustion pressures which are death to the pistons.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Donald Ekhoff" <ekhoff@xxxx> wrote:
> Martin, You make an excellent point. This engine has tremendous
potential
> and sucessive variants have certainly proved this to be true. If
there was
> someone providing a service sourcing and supporting European based
engine
> upgrades, I would be first in line. My perspective is that I
already have
> the odd-fire DMV motor and see substancial gains without breaking
the bank
> or my drive train. I don't think 130 HP is enough. I suppose the
question
> is, how much more can I get for how much spent? Has anyone else
attempted a
> ported, polished (induction as well as exhaust), turbocharged (single or
> twin), intercooled, water injected DMC/PRV yet?
>
> Don E.

DeLorean.