Idle Speed Regulator Query

Is the idle speed regulator supposed to make noise even when the idle
speed microswitch is not depressed? With my key in the run position,
the idle speed motor is running when the idle microswitch is
depressed, just like it should. When I move the throttle linkage so
the idle microswitch is no longer depressed, the sound from the idle
speed regulator changes, but it is still doing something. As far as I
can tell, my car is functioning properly, so I assume this is normal.
Am I right?

John Yeoman