Update. Re: Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

Update. Re: Failed Emissions Inspection. AGAIN!!!!!

Doesn't look like I'm going to get the garage space promised today, so
checking the sparkplugs isn't going to be possible today. But, I have made
what I hope is a bit of progress, even though this morning my car ran @ it's
absolute worst yet.

Buying NOS electrical parts for my D hasn't been my most rewarding
experience. So, I replaced the NOS coil I got from DMCH with a 45,000 Volt
Blaster Coil from MSD that I picked up @ my local speed shop. I installed it,
the engine had a litte hesitation starting, but turned over. It knocked a couple
of times, and then smoothed out. The exhaust was rich, but after a couple of
minutes, it had a nasty rotten egg smell that it never had before. I shut it down,
cleaned up, and took it for a test drive. Pickup is now improved dramaticly
from a dead stop. No so much speed wise, but the torque from the engine is
now improved enough so that it doesn't "lug" hardly now. The flatness in my
accelleration has also been dramaticly improved, ending at arounf 2500-3000
RPM's. Accelleration has also improved. Though not scientific, I can now hit
65mph about 500 feet quicker than I could before. And now I finally have
power enough in 5th gear to accellerate up hills, and not need to downshift. I
hit the interstate, and kicked it up to about 110 to blow the cobwebs out.

Now here is the interesting part. Yesterday durring testing, my exhaust had a
smell of fuel in it while even up to temperature to trigger the cooling fans. After
returning home, and smelling the exhaust at idle, it now smells slightly like
burning charcoal. I am hoping that this is a good sign that it's burning off
cabon deposits.

And for the bad news. I don't know exactly what the tapping of the exhaust
manifolds sound like when the gaskets are rotten, but I've got a constant
tapping from what sounds like cylinder #5. As I rev the motor, the tapping
increased accordingly. And I can also hear an occasional knock there about
every 3-4 seconds. But it seems to subside a bit more as I gun the engine up.
So I'll try switching over to possibly a higher octane gas to try and quell that.
MTBE gasoline is not available in Nevada, due to the fact that our gasoline is
piped in from California. I might also try a bit of Chemtool as well to see if I can
burn off some of the excess carbon. But I'm still worried about the sound.

Many thanks to everyone who has replied back to me both on, and off the list.
Believe me, if there was a way that I could have easily avoided this smog test,
then I would have gotten my exemption long ago. Unfortunetly, in Nevada, the
state seems to be giving California a run for it's money. Exemption is only for
vehicles 1967 & older (and that number never changes), and Classic Cars. In
addition a car has to be 25 years old here to be a classic. To be a classic, you
are restricted to 2,500 miles a year, and not only must you send in a signed
statement every year with your renewal stating you haven't exceeded the
milage, you also have to pass an initial smog check at the State Emissions
Lab! The best part is this law only affects "urban zones" in two counties within
the entire state. So people out over the hill in rual areas in the central part of
the state are allowed to incenerate their trash, but curse me for high hydro-
carbons! I can't win. But enough of my ranting. I'm begining to sound like
James Traficant on a red bull and twinkie binge.

As for the fuel system, that's all less than 3 years old, and brand new from
pump to injector. For those that are also interested, here are the results of the
CO from the test as well.

CO% .98@2500, .65@idle. CO2 13.30@2500, 11.50@idle. O2% 3.6@2500,
5.7@idle. All of these passed the inspection, although the CO% was pretty
close to the limit of 1.20% max. My Catalyitc Convertor is working it seems,
but it's just that my engine isn't burning off all of it's fuel. I'll next test the cold
start valve, and hopefully, that'll be ok. Although, I am having both hot, and
cold starting problems now.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"