Front lower control arm replacement

As some of you may know, I suffered a catastrophic lower control arm
failure some time back (see message #31584).

I decided to install the stainless front lower control arms from
Pierce Design, and thought I would share the experience with the
group.

The stainless control arms from Brian Pierce are simply gorgeous.
>From the construction and quality of the welding, it is clear that
highly skilled labor went into their construction. Where accessible,
the welds are ground flush with the surrounding material and the
arms are nicely polishied, reflecting the quality and care of
workmanship.

As advertized, the control arms are constructed of stainless steel,
and the material used is much more substantial than the original
stamped control arms. The steel the arms are constructed from is
substantially thicker and more robust than the original soft-steel
control arms. The overall impression is that the control arms are
much more robust and rigid than the originals.

During assembly, I encountered a minor issue in installing the inner
bushings into the arms. The first bushing pressed nicely into the
first control arm with reasonable pressure. The second bushing,
however, was not as firmly in place as I would prefer. Upon closer
examination I discovered that the two new bushings I had were of
different styles, and it's likely that the second bushing was
slightly undersized compared with the first one. Since the first one
was already pressed home it was not feasible for me to compare their
dimensions with the calipers, so I cann't be sure what the looser
fit was attributed to. I readily fixed this by squeezing the bushing
slightly out of round and pressing it home with a little dab of
locktite for good measure. I suspect this issue was with the bushing
I had and not due to any dimensional tolerance problem with the
control arm.

I similarly encountered a minor issue when pressing the lower ball
joints home. The reinforcement sleeve on the new control arms are
much more substantial than the soft steel sleeve of the original
control arms. Also the sleeve through which the ball joint is
pressed is also substantially harder than on the original control
arms. This combined to make it excessively difficult to press the
ball joints into the arms. I believe the control arm dimensions are
actually correct for the Pierce control arms and that the difficulty
in pressing the ball joints in stem from the harder sleeve material
that the friction grooves in the ball joint don't as readuly cut
into. A sufficiently large press (bigger than I've got) probably
would have pressed the ball joints home, but I didn't see a need for
such measures. Using a flat file I merely shaved down the friction
ridges on the body of the ball joints a little in order to allow
them to be pressed home with reasonable pressure. A couple minutes
filing down the ridges on the ball joints a little was all it took
and then the ball joints pressed home nicely. The arm dimensions
matched up precisely so the snap ring on the ball joint lies flush
with the top surface of the control arm.

The final issue I encountered when installing the arms actually did
appear to be a minor dimensional tolerance variance with the control
arms. The width of the control arms at the point where the shock is
attached was 50/1000th too narrow on both of the control arms. On
the original soft control arms, such variance is not a problem since
the arms are so soft that you can just spread the sides a little.
The Pierce control arms, however, are much beefier and much more
rigid. This again was not a real problem since it was just a matter
of shaving off 50/1000th of the width of the lower shock mount which
was readily accomplished with a few strokes of the flat file.

I'm very impressed with the stainless control arms. They are
beautifully crafted, and they are clearly substantially more robust
than the originals. Nice work by Brian Pierce in providing another
quality component to help support our cars.

Knut