Re: My MCD Still leaking water

Jason

Sounds like the drain for the fresh air vent is clogged. This is not
uncommon if you park it outside where debris can accumulate on the
fresh air grill and eventually fall into the trap and clog it. The
water will back up and spill into the cabin through the mounting
seams, the fan motor cooling hose/vent, or the plenum if the plenum
drain is also clogged. You access the water drain through the
inspection cover in the spare tire well - the same one to access the
fuel pump.

I would suggest using water from a nozzled hose and start spraying
area by area until you find the leak. I would start with spraying on
the windshield for a while watching inside for an eventual leak. If
that is fine then start around the rest of the passenger side area.
There is a bulletin ST-33-12/81 "Water Leaks - Body" that may be a
helpful reference.

Don't trust the looks of OEM sealing on areas. I have found areas
that look fine until I pealed the stuff off and discovered dirt or
crud under the sealer that resulted in a partial seal no seal at
all. The most difficult leak I tried to find was a leak that came in
through the back of the door seal at the bend by the front door
latch. I was to the point where I was allowing water to trickle down
the door channel to see how it flowed and as the water ran over the
back of the seal some went in behind where it bent. It would fill up
the floor pan if it rained hard enough. I spread silicone over the
fiberglass mounting area there and then put the door seal back on.
It is still sealed.

Harold McElraft - 3354