DeLorean/LMC Snow Groomers

Well don't ever let it be said again that DeLorean products don't
perform, nor handle well in the snow! :D

This is indeed a VERY interesting link. And even so, these little
snow groomers have quite a bit in common with thier Stainlesss
cousins from Belfast. After a little bit of research, LMC is indeed
out of business (filed for bankruptcy in 2000). Although coincidence
enough, there appears to be quite a simular support network of
messageboards for repairs, a vendor network for parts supplies, and a
new company called VMC who is trying to pick up where the former
company left off. Kinda sounds alomst like the same situation we're
in right now with our cars!

There is much more info that remains to be discovered it appears, so
if I find anything else out, I'll post it to the group. But here is
an excerpt from a webpage I found giving a quick summary of the
companies history as a whole.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

Recently, while researching DeLorean cars to satisfy a curiosity, I
uncovered a piece of very interesting information. The fact: DeLorean
also manufactured snow cats.

The idea of a DeLorean snow cat triggered a new curiosity. So, I set
off in my usual frenzied search for information, and what I
uncovered, is an astounding story beginning with Thiokol, and ending
somewhere between NASA, Dopplmayr, and Chapter 11.

Originally, this was supposed to be an article about the DeLorean
snow cat. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, DeLorean
wasn't really the center of the story.

Lets start with Thiokol in the present day. Thiokol currently
manufactures rocket boosters, including the boosters on NASA's space
shuttle fleet.

Prior to the 1970's, Thiokol was a leader in the manufacture of
mechanical systems. They designed and built chair lifts, and
manufactured a line of snow grooming equipment. Even today, you'll
spot the occasional Thiokol lift or Thiokol snow cat.

During the 1970's, NASA was in the research and development phase of
its reusable space vehicle program. Thiokol came up to the plate in
1974, and was awarded a contracts for solid rocket booster research,
design and testing.

Two men employed at Thiokol in 1974, were Jan Leonard and Mark
Ballantyne. Both men got their start in the lift industry by working
for the two leading lift manufacturers. One at Thiokol, and the other
at Hall Ski Lifts.

Lift manufacturing at Thiokol continued until 1976, when NASA
accepted their design for the space shuttle rocket boosters, changing
the company's fate. Deciding in the interest of focusing on rockets,
Thiokol decided to exit the ski industry. Jan Leonard and Mark
Ballantyne left the company to form their own company, CTEC.

The newly formed CTEC took 2 years to evolve, and in 1978, they
purchased Thiokol's lift designs and inventory. The first lift
manufactured under the CTEC name, was a triple chair built for Seven
Springs, PA.

Thiokol began looking for a buyer interested in purchasing their snow
cat/groomer business.

Shifting focus for a moment to DeLorean...

Practically everyone is familiar with the DeLorean car. Yes, its the
model used in the movie "Back to The Future".

The DeLorean car, a radical new sports car with gull wing doors, was
manufactured in Scottland between 1981 and 1983 by the DeLorean
Manufacturing Company (DMC), founded by General Motors veteran John
DeLorean. The manufacturing facility and DMC project was financed by
the British government starting in 1979, in the interest of creating
jobs in Ireland.

Unfortunately, only 8,583 of these cars were ever produced, and DMC
came to an abrupt end amid accusations of scandal. John DeLorean was
charged with misappropriation of public funds, and the DeLorean car,
was finished.

How does this relate to Thiokol?

John DeLorean, sometime between 1978 and 1979, picked up a personal
project for his own enjoyment. He purchased Thiokol's snow cat
manufacturing business, and renamed it Logan Manufacturing Company,
after its location of Logan, Utah. Logan was made a division of DMC
and became known as LMC.

LMC seemingly thrived under the direction of John DeLorean, but it
became rumored that funds from the British government intended for
DMC were secretly funneled to LMC. None of this was ever proven.

LMC continued to grow into the late 1980's, producing DeLorean's snow
cats.

In 1988, John DeLorean was caught in a drug raid, suspected of
cocaine trafficking. Mounting legal expenses forced him to sell the
Logan Manufacturing Company. He was later acquitted of the charges.

Several employees of LMC in 1988 stepped up to purchase the company.
The business slowly declined throughout the 1990's, ending in Chapter
11 bankruptcy sometime around 2000.

LMC snow cats are still a common sight on the slopes, although most
are aging with the grace of a lumbering monster. Next time you see
one, look at the simple LMC logo. Compare it with the DMC logo of a
DeLorean car. The two logos have a similiar style ... futuristic "D"
or "L", followed by the same styled futuristic "MC".

Final notes...

In the years following the acquisition of Thiokol's lifts, CTEC grew
steadily and merged with Garaventa AG in 1999. Forming Garaventa
CTEC, the North American division of the Garaventa Group.

In 2001, the Garaventa Group merged with Dopplmayr, another large
world-wide lift manufacturer.

So, now you know the story of Thiokol in the ski industry, and how it
ends somewhere between NASA, Dopplmayr, and Chapter 11.