Re: DeLorean Floatation Device

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Darin Wolf" <son_darin@xxxx> wrote:
> So far I may have the topic set in an akward idea. However, What I
> am about to suggest is in idle curiosity. I've heard rumor about
> how a DeLorean has a hard time of steering at a high rate of speed
> and I am curious. Noting the location of the engine, wouldn't
> common sense say that a suggested fix would be to tack on at least
> 100 lbs to each side of the forward section of the frame in order
to balance out the weight?
<SNIP>

Don't know what exactly you mean by having a hard time steering @ a
high rate of speed. I've had my car up to around 124mph, and haven't
noticed anything out of the orinary. The front end will lay down, and
stay quite steady. At slower speeds of arond 70mph, I've had to do
some emergency manuvering a couple of times, and have maintained
control of the car fine (obvious since I'm still here to write this).
The back end *wiggles* quite a bit, but the amount of understeer in
the front is just enough to quickly counter the effects of the rear
sway to counter the rear inertia of the car, and return balance. I
have never lost grip in this kind of a situation, just swayed the
back. Remember, the car may be rear-engined, but the suspension
engineering was completed by Lotus, who are pioneers, and experts on
the subject in their own right. Dropping extra wieght into the car
isn't going to help anything. My suspension is in need of a total
overhaul. Drop some money on rebuilding/upgrading the suspension.
Trying to make a "Stainless Sled" isn't going to cure problems, so
much as it will create new ones. Rear-engine mounting in my car
doesn't cause problems, it simply make it more fun!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"