Re: [DML] Re: Modified Deloreans

Robert,
I agree, I think the idea of a tubular frame under the Delorean is a great
idea. The whole fact that it can be done it very reassuring for the future
of these cars. I certainly don't want to knock what Pierce Design has done
because it is a great thing and a super product, however it isn't the most
cost effective and the reality is that most cars that have frame trouble
will never see one of these replacements just because of the cost involved -
they end up parted out. I guess I was just some what surprised just how
feasible this option would be considering the amount of discussion what has
gone on about it. Perhaps those involved in the discussion just didn't have
the contacts with the right people. It is certainly something I plan to
investigate further with him.

On the other subject of modifying a D for some HP, I was also some what
leery about having an engine that huge up front because the goal of this
project, IF it does become a reality is to keep the great looks of the car
in tact and give the car the horse power to back up those good looks. I do
not want something grotesque hanging out of the hood. But lets face it, my
cousins mini-van has more horses than a stock Delorean, a sad but true fact.

Cars become "fun" to drive around 200 HP (depending on size and weight
ofcourse) and are considered performance in the 300 HP range rolling off the
assembly lines in mass quantity. When you get into the 400 or 500 range this
is where the street legal street racers sit... this would be the goal. Funny
cars generate in excess of 1000 HP.. not the goal at all. Could it be done,
yes, Tad (my mechanic) has built 1800 HP engines which are just ridiculously
expensive. But there are a number of Cobras, Vettes, and such out there that
put out this kind of HP with a pretty reasonable set up.

To be honest, I have to wonder if a mid-mounted engine wouldn't be more
effective over the rear or forward mount. Although it would require that the
interior of the car be modified a bit to remove the cargo area, I'm not sure
that I would mind considering I don't play golf anyhow :) It would also
alleviate the steering problems without creating all of the front end
issues.This project is still in the investigation stages, so engine
placement is still up in the air as are engine choice, etc.

If this project gets off the ground I will certainly put together a web site
and document the process.

Take care,
Mike
VIN 4761