Re: [DML] Re: Aftermarket car stereos

On Saturday, March 29, 2003, at 08:00 AM, Henry wrote:
Second, as Dave mentioned, you can not use the common ground for the speakers - my Alpine head unit didn't work very well until I separated the grounds for each speaker - so it's unlikely you'll be able to install any new radio without cutting some wires. I used the old harness for most of the power and some speaker connections, but had to run some other direct from the new radio harness as well.

As an alternative to rewiring the speakers, you can solve the "common ground" problem with an inexpensive device called a "floating ground adaptor", such as the Peripheral FGA4. I bought one recently from River Oaks Car Stereo:

http://www.installer.com/acc/index.html

Cost was $22.95. For the record, I have not yet installed this, but it isn't rocket science, so I suspect it will work just fine.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703