Re: [DML] "When all else fails, get a bigger hammer?"

Dave, I spent hours trying to avoid taking BOTH my fans off to work out why both of them seemed to have spontaneously failed. In the end I thought "well, seeing as I'm looking at new motors anyway, I may as well try this..." and lamped them both with a hammer. Both now spin fine. I think based on other people's experience, it's due to getting water in them - Mine do not have a drain hole so at some point in the near future I'll be taking them apart and checking them. My car has 6000 miles on it.

Martin

doctordhd@xxxx wrote:

I'm not a guy who likes to use a hammer to fix things but after the advice on the list I tried it. One of my cooling fans wasn't running so I jacked up the "D" and slid under it to take a look. I unplugged the fan motor wires and connected them to a 12 volt power supply. Then I tapped the back of the motor housing ever so gently. The fan turned a couple of degrees. I thought it was mearly from the vibration of the tapping but each time I tapped it turned more and more until it ran by itself! Now it seems to work properly when reconected. I'm not sure how long this "fix" will work but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the motor without taking the entire front of the car off. Any ideas and comment would be appreciated.

Dave
6530