Re: [DML] "When all else fails, get a bigger hammer?"

Re: [DML] "When all else fails, get a bigger hammer?"

In a message dated 3/27/03 11:35:43 AM Central Standard Time,
doctordhd@xxxx writes:

> I'm not a guy who likes to use a hammer to fix things but after the advice
> on
> the list I tried it. One of my cooling fans wasn't running so I jacked up
> the "D" and slid under it to take a look. I unplugged the fan motor wires
> and connected them to a 12 volt power supply. Then I tapped the back of
> the
> motor housing ever so gently. The fan turned a couple of degrees. I
> thought
> it was mearly from the vibration of the tapping but each time I tapped it
> turned more and more until it ran by itself! Now it seems to work properly
>
> when reconected. I'm not sure how long this "fix" will work but I can't
> seem
> to figure out how to remove the motor without taking the entire front of
> the
> car off. Any ideas and comment would be appreciated.
>
> Dave
> 6530

Dave,

the fans do not come out easily.
check the shop manual in the section that deals with removing the radiator.
you can extrapolate how to remove the fans from those instructions. I did
this last spring, and from what i can remember, you must first remove the
plastic shroud which goes all around the fans, radiator, and condensor.
there are screws with washers along the sides of this ducting. after you
have removed that, you will need to loosen the radiator mounts and a few more
nuts, then you can the fans and the fan shroud as one complete unit. i'm a
little sketchy, so check the shop manual for details. this won't be easy
with the car on the ground.

Andy
Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596