Re: "When all else fails, get a bigger hammer?"

Re: "When all else fails, get a bigger hammer?"

When the brushes get very worn they don't have the spring pressure as
when they were longer and there is a lot of dirt they tend to stick.
By inducing vibrations (smacking it with a hammer) the brushes moved a
little making contact again with the commutator. This is a very
temporory fix. Remember that both fans have the same amount of run
time so they are both due to die soon. The motors can be "fixed". It
requires removing them, disassembling them, replacing the brushes,
cleaning up and "trueing" the commutator, cleaning the insides, and
lubing the bearings. If the bearings are not too loose they don't have
to be replaced.
The radiator has to be removed so that you can get the shroud and
fans out. First unfasten the fan shroud and push it back and up out of
the way. Remove the radiator and then you have enough room to remove
the shroud with the fans attached. It is a real juggleing act,
especially when you try to put it back together. Some strap-ties or
pieces of wire can help hold things up out of the way. There are also
a lot of "hidden" nuts so don't force anything unless you are sure you
got all of the fasteners up across the top.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, doctordhd@xxxx wrote:
> I'm not a guy who likes to use a hammer to fix things but after the
advice on
> the list I tried it. One of my cooling fans wasn't running so I
jacked up
> the "D" and slid under it to take a look. I unplugged the fan motor
wires
> and connected them to a 12 volt power supply. Then I tapped the
back of the
> motor housing ever so gently. The fan turned a couple of degrees.
I thought