Re: Professional Fuel Injection Cleaner Hookups

Re: Professional Fuel Injection Cleaner Hookups

I would hesitate in using a fuel injector cleaning system on the
Delorean. On a properly running car the fuel system is to a large
extent self-cleaning as the fuel is constantly being pumped out of the
tank, through the fuel filter to the mixture unit and back to the
tank. Any contamination should wind up inside the fuel filter. The
only area that is not recirculated is the injectors themselves and
they can be removed easily to be cleaned. If you suspect any dirt has
entered the system start by inspecting the fuel tank. If it is dirty
clean it out. Next replace the fuel filter and if you want to know if
the system was heavily contaminated cut the filter open. Be careful as
it will still contain enough gas to be dangerous. Lastly if the system
is still not clean remove the injectors and have them tested and
cleaned. Modern fuels contain additives that will loosen and remove
most organic contamination, the filter is for inorganic contamination
and water. A pressure cleaning system could damage the fuel system by
putting high pressures where they shouldn't be and some have a
pulsating mode that can damage valves in the system. If you do use it
you may see a lot of dirt come out but sometimes loosening it all at
once can really be a bad thing! If you are having fuel system problems
I suspect even after the system cleaning you will continue to have
them and maybe even more. Try to troubleshoot the problem first before
"shotgunning" it by having a "system cleaning". Many fuel system
problems start in the fuel tank so that's where I would begin.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a question on professional fuel injection cleaners, like the
> NAPA/Echlin universal system. In the instructions for Bosch
K-Jetronic,