Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Replacement

I don't doubt that a neglected car will have problems in the fuel pump area
but I've owned my car from new and have had no problems in almost 21 years.
I changed the fuel pump during year one only because the new style had the
external check valve. While doing that I painted all the electrical
connections on the pump with di-electric silicone to help fight
electrolisis. I just looked at the pump last fall and everything still looks
good. You can't ride these cars hard and put them away wet but if they've
had a little regular preventative maintenance throughout their life they're
very reliable. The problems you've experianced are because at some point the
gas was left in the tank for a prolonged period of time. If you drive enough
to cycle new gas through the system at least every couple of months I don't
think the original system will give you problems.

Bruce Benson

> To answer your question Nick is the stock fuel pump basically sucks. The
> rubber that surrounds the pump deteriorates and if the boot that covers
> it is not seated properly will leak water you find the
> pump sitting in. >
Thnx,