Re: Brake fluid Again

Hi again Jason and the List.
In answer to your question, "So why does it have to be Castrol?"
It doesn't.
Just pick what ever is DOT4 and is readily available in your
area.
Several Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club members (www.pndc.org)
have made the switch to 'Valvoline Syn Power High Performance
Synthetic Brake Fluid' about $2.79 for 12 oz bottle. Buy at least 24
oz to flush entire system.
You can go to www.howstuffworks.com and learn more about brake
fluid. Type 'brake fluid' in the search box. It states, "The three
main types of brake fluid now available are DOT3, DOT4 and DOT5.
DOT3 and DOT4 are glycol based fluids, and DOT5 is silicon based.
The main difference is that DOT3 and DOT4 absorb water while DOT5
doesn't." Funny thing is they don't mention anything about synthetic
brake fluids like synthetic engine oil doesn't absorb water either.
Look at www.ogracing.com and there you will see the ATE Brake
Fluid I use. Price $7.25 per litre. Don't use this stuff. It's
dark blue and you can't see through it in the fluid reservoir.
I've gone absolutely mad at using the most expensive fluids I
could find locally. My engine oil is synthetic AMSOIL $8 a quart.
Manual transmission fluid is synthetic REDLINE MTL (red in color) $8
a quart. Brake fluid is described above.
I dare to be different. Now I'm out of money. Learn from my
mistakes. Don't blow too much money on something you can't afford.
My DeLorean engine is like FRANKENSTEIN. Pieced together from
several different manufacturers. It's a 3.0 liter developing approx.
150 to a 160 hp. All done by a highly paid mechanic. Paid by me!
More on this later.

Mark R. Vanyo VIN #02261

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jason Rowe" <rowejj@xxxx> wrote:
Well, I've went to all the local parts stores and no one has any
castrol. I asked the guy at napa if he could order some for me so he
looked and said that they don't have it listed. He then asked me why
it has to be castrol dot 4 and not any other dot 4. I said good
question and I'll find out. So why does it have to be Castrol? He
said that the fluid is so regulated that there really can't be much
difference between all of the brands. So what is so special about it?
Thanks in advance....again.....................Jason #5903