Re: Front lower control arm inner bushing failure

Re: Front lower control arm inner bushing failure

Hi Knut..

It's a very typical low-end design. Compared to most late-70's
American cars it's extremely ordinary. Except for the stressed
swaybar (nobody does that but Lotus!) it looks very much like a Ford
Pinto. It works exactly as you described.

One key item that many people miss is that the suspension comoponents
must be torqued at the resting position. Put it all together, but
don't torque anything until you have the car sitting on the ground
and have bounced it a few times. If you torque it all up a bad thing
happens - at full compression (hitting a bump in the road) the
bushings are twisted twice as far as designed, and they are always
under stress except when you are cresting a hill. Neither is good for
long life.

So - the fix you do, assuming you just put OEM bushings back in, and
installed them correctly won't be any more short-lived than the ones
you just took out. How miles did they go before failure? It will most
depend on condition of the roads where you drive. There is a lot of
stress on those parts, and I find it amazing that they don't cause
more trouble than they do. On most cars the suspension bushings
outlast the car, they are typically well over 100,000-mile parts.

Dave

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ksgrimsr <knut.s.grimsrud@xxxx>"
<knut.s.grimsrud@xxxx> wrote:
> The front right lower control arm inner bushing failed on my daily
> driver yesterday, and I have a couple questions about the setup.
>
> Let me first describe the nature of the failure -- the inner sleeve
> of the bushing separated from the vulcanized rubber of the bushing
> body resulting in the inner portion of the control arm shifting
> across the captured inner bushing sleeve under stress. ..
>
> How is the lower control arm geometry and bushing setup supposed to
> work? Is the intent that the vulcanized rubber of the bushing be
> pliable enough to accommodate the repeated travel of the
suspension?
Unfortunately, the original setup doesn't look at