Front lower control arm inner bushing failure

Front lower control arm inner bushing failure

The front right lower control arm inner bushing failed on my daily
driver yesterday, and I have a couple questions about the setup.

Let me first describe the nature of the failure -- the inner sleeve
of the bushing separated from the vulcanized rubber of the bushing
body resulting in the inner portion of the control arm shifting
across the captured inner bushing sleeve under stress. The resulting
change in front suspension geometry causes alignment to be lost and
can be disconcerting if there is such motion at high-speed.

While replacement is straightforward (although tedious), and I have
had the springs out of the car several times before, I was a bit
puzzled at the setup. With the lower inner control arm bolt torqued
to spec, the inner sleeve of the bushing appears to be pinched and
frozen in place between the frame members it's bolted to. With the
outser sleeve of the bushing pressed into the lower control arm, and
the inner sleeve of the bushing pinched in place, it would appear
that the suspension travel would invariably twist the bushing in a
way that would result in the bushing rubber twisting loose from the
inner sleeve, like the failure on my car.

How is the lower control arm geometry and bushing setup supposed to
work? Is the intent that the vulcanized rubber of the bushing be
pliable enough to accommodate the repeated travel of the suspension?
If that is the intent, then any bushing replacement that uses harder
materials for that portion of the suspension would seem to be
unusable, since the bushing body itself is responsible for
accommodating the twist associated with the full travel of the
suspension.

Since pulling the lower control arms out is not my favorite DeLorean
job (I always get nervous about compressing the springs), I'd like to
do the job right. Unfortunately, the original setup doesn't look at
all to be robust and I'd hate to do all the work to replace the
bushings just to have the fix be short-lived.

Knut