Re: [DML] Re: Rear main seal wear

In a message dated 2/25/03 8:08:52 PM Central Standard Time,
swingle@xxxx writes:

> I've seen an issue on the front main seal (the one at the back of the
> car) where the seal wears a groove in the pulley....... I suppose
> the same thing could happen at the other (flywheel) end, but as you

Dave has a good point on this one. But one other thing I have seen on a
couple of cars, especially ones that have just sat unused for a long time, is
over time moisture can collect on different metal parts. I have seen a couple
of crankshafts where the bottom side of the crank at the back, where it is
exposed out thru the rear seal behind the flywheel, has had enough moisture
form to actually rust and pit the end of the crankshaft at this seal
location. Naturally this rusting and pitting will eat the lip of the seal up
as the crankshaft rotates, thus causing the leak. Like Dave said, the surface
of the crankshaft must be cleaned and smooth at the point it meets the seal
in order for the seal to work correctly.
I also think Dave's idea about the seal retainer plate may be correct
also. This plate holds the rear seal in place. It also bolts to the rear of
the block and is sealed on the back with a paper gasket and on the bottom,
where it sits on the rear main cap, it is sealed with gasket sealer, no
gasket. The possibility of your leak coming from this plate and not the seal
itself is also very great. Next time you have your clutch man redo your rear
seal, have him also remove and reinstall and seal this retainer plate
correctly.

Marty