Re: How do I determine engine overheating damage?

Re: How do I determine engine overheating damage?

Do a visual inspection looking for burnt wiring and cooked oil.
Discolored wires, parts, hoses sometimes give a clue. Next check the
oil, it shouldn't be lumpy, foamy, water drops etc. It shouldn't be
completly black either. Remove the oil filler and breather cap. Look
at the underside for water droplets, 1 or 2 might be ok but a lot
means water in the oil. Finally if you have one, a coolant pressure
tester use it. This won't always mean an an overheat, it could just be
indicating bad hoses or water pump. Other tests include a coolant
tester for combustion gases and a compression test. A melted header
bottle could also warn you that the motor was overheated. Even if the
motor was overheated if it wasn't too long or too high it could still
be alright, the PRV is a tough little motor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sansuivintage <J.A.v.d.Bosch@xxxx>"