Re: [DML] Electromotive anyone? Yes. Hmmm.

Re: [DML] Electromotive anyone? Yes. Hmmm.

Pete, sounds like a big project. More power to ya if you want to do it. I
was just concerned because It sounds like you're going to spend ALOT of
money end up with less than what you bargained for and with nightmarish
tuning issues on top of it all.

I by no means am against taking a stock motor and making it faster/more
efficent. Im very familiar with the concept. I have a 400hp Mazda Miata
that we built with a TEC II using the STOCK MOTOR and turbo.
Im also a fan of motor swapped cars, I have a Monster Miata, with a built
302 5 liter V8 and nitrous.
http://www.onlineshowoff.com/index.asp?section=profile&username=OneFastMiata

I dont think your DeLorean is going to end up meeting your KISS principle
( keep it simple sucker).
The Electromotive tuning and systems is anything but simple. And as I said,
you're going to end up having to machine a custom crank trigger and other
custom bits to make it work on the D. BUt if you're going to the expense of
having a custom intake welded up, then maybe having other parts machined
wont bother you.

When I built my stock motor miata, I too designed both an intake manifold
and exhaust manifold and had them jigg'd and welded up out of stainless from
burns stainless. Interestingly enough I had an ex employee from Hennessey
do some of the welding work for me. After several test and tune sessions
the exhaust manifold ended up costing $1800.
Due to cost I decided to forego the intake manifold, and just have the
stocker extrude honed.

I think that a custom intake on a Delorean will cost an equal fortune as
the miata, and I dont know that simply having the stocker honed, and putting
a bigger throttle body on wouldnt be MUCH easier. Problem is, I really doubt
a company like RC engineering or one of the standards is gonna have DeLorean
big bore throttle bodies. So you're gonna have to get your stocker honed and
find a butterfly that will work. Again, more psuedo hassle.

While Im here May I ask, how does one remove the cams should they "go bad"
which was very much a problem on the volvo motor. In fact, when presented
with the "cam problem" they typically DRILLED THRU THE FIREWALL on volvo's
to get them out due to the engine design. Has anyone here replaced cams
on their D?

I noticed David Teitelbaums reply to this thread too. And I agree with
him, I'd find a hotter ignition, and I'd look into a fuel controller. I
think I'd pass on the TEC if I were you. I think you'll find the TEC is
gonna be a big can of worms on the D.

David Teitelbaum, QUOTE,
"Of course you would have to do
something with the intake and exhaust to improve breathing and you would
have to lower the compression and change the cam". END QUOTE

David I assume you mean raise the compression? If you were going to build a
NA DeLorean motor, you'd want to raise the compression considerably.

As it stands the DeLorean compression is pretty much already ready have
Forced Induction added, but I'd be afraid of scattering the motor.

Again, I just think that between custom intake manifolds and throttle bodies
and TEC III's etc etc etc the project is gonna cost a zillion dollars and
still end up having relatively ho-hum performance.

When you start talking about adding turbo chargers....I'm a little more
intrigued, however I still wonder what kind of power you can pass thru this
motor without it scattering. Transmission? Diffs?

Cheers
Jennifer Tipton
Louisville Kentucky