Re: "clicking" noise

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:01:47 -0800 (PST), Larry Koden wrote:

> Second, when I drive the car, the car makes a
> "clicking" noise that I can't locate. (click, click,
> click) The odd thing is that when I press the brake
> pedal half way down the clicking stops when I release
> the pedal it starts again.

I had the same problem AND have had it fixed...
All that needed to be done was installing a pair
of anti rattle springs on the rear calipers.

The pads have a bit of play on the retaining pins and I had
a slight high point on one of my rotors. This caused the pad
to be lifted up and then drop down onto the pins with every
revolution of the wheel. Braking brings the pad in constant
contact with the rotor, so it doesn't have any space to rattle.

Put a wheel of your car off of the ground using a jack and then
rotat the wheel by hand. Hear the clicking? Take off the wheel
and feel the pads, if they move enough fit a couple of anti rattle
springs. I had a hard time finding any, but was lucky enough to
get a pair from someone that didn't need them when he swapped his
pads out for new ones of a different compound (thanks again Ed!)

Hope this helps,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000