Re: [DML]More questions from the new guy. :-)

Re: [DML]More questions from the new guy. :-)

You will get lots of opinions on this as I did when I bought mine
over a year ago. I would say first and foremost don't buy sight
unseen. At they very least have someone on the DML check it out for
you if you can't get there in person.

The frame has to be near the top of any list. Mine came from
Califonia so I knew that would not be much of an issue. cosmetic
stuff has to take a back seat because that is easy to fix and can be
done over time depending on your budget. The exception would be if
the dashboard and binnacle are in bad shape. Remember everything on
the car is 20+ years old. I think cars were built to last about 10
years on average so by its very nature buying and taking care of an
older car requires patience (I have 3 little kiddies which gives you
great practice :-) and replacing parts that you have never heard of.

I would make sure the fuel system, transmission, brakes, the engine
and the stainless panel's have no problems. Look at the repair
records if the seller will show you. Check that all electrical
recalls have been done. All of these things will add or subtract to
the price you should pay. Test drive several cars. One thing I
learned early on is all Deloreans are different and that adds to
their personlity. It also depends on your skill. Some people look at
problems as opportunity's to roll up their sleeves and learn about
your car and others will throw socket wrenches and their garage door.

Read the messages on this list. Take a rainy day and start at message
#1 and just go forward. You will see the types of things people run
into. On the positive side I waould almost guarantee any problem you
have will be covered here somewhere....Lastly...be patient. There are
always D's for sale.

Mike C
2109