Re: [DML] Alternator Question.

Keeping in mind that most auto makers aren't concerned about parts lasting to
long. The average life of an alternator as I was told was 18 months. In
building them and working with alternators, the problem is heat. Heat rises
and under the hood and mounted at the top the alternator will deteriorate
faster and the voltage and current will also drop. I know ours isn't the best
place at the bottom and I know it's close to the exhaust manifold. But, It
has a lot of air passing over it to keep it cooler when driving to keep it
cooler. Some of the new car alternators we won't build to increase current
because of being mounted at the top because of the heat.
My 2 Cents
John Hervey