Re: A Few Quickies ... Clutch, Brakes, Springs and Lights

Re: A Few Quickies ... Clutch, Brakes, Springs and Lights

To quiet the brakes there are several things to try. Replace the
anti-squeal shims. Go over the surfaces of the rotors with a 3" 36
grit disc mounted in an electric drill to roughen up the srface of the
rotors. Don't remove any metal so much as to scratch the surface in an
overlapping circular motion. Put a liquid or spray on the back of the
brake pads to reduce the noise. If all else fails then replace the
pads as they might not be correct for the Delorean. Cross drilling
usually causes the brakes to make more noise not less. It is done to
reduce brake fade by moving more air over the surfaces. The best place
to get pads if you do need them is from a Delorean dealer so you know
you are getting the proper pads for the car.
For the lights check that the rubber caps are on the ends of the door
switches and that the doors are in fact closing all the way (sounds
like the anchor pins need to be adjusted).
Before you buy these expensive items, like a clutch, call one of the
dealers and they will help you pick things for your driving style and
budget. You may not need a new flywheel, just a light grind of your
old one but it is impossible to tell until you get the clutch out.
Lowering the car will require an alignment and could cause problems
with curb cuts, raised manholes, steep driveways, floor lifts, jacks,
and parking bumpers. Also adjust the headlights. It also reduces the
suspension travel so the car could bottom out on rough roads. It does
improve the "look" of the car but be aware of the trade-offs.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "the_great_gazoo.rm <delorean@xxxx>"