Re: Headlights

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. P. Olans <mpolans@xxxx>" <
mpolans@xxxx> wrote:
> Well,
> I burned out a headlight last night. Since I am not nearly ready
> to tackle my headlight conversion I'm forced to replace it. However I
> was thinking about replacing them with the "diamond" type housings and
> Xenon bulbs that you can find on ebay.
<SNIP>

I've never used the H4 conversion kits on any vehicle, so I don't have any
useful info on them from firsthand experience. However, I can offer you this bit
of advice. If a true HID system is what you really want for your car, then don't
bother compromising with anything else. Just stick to you guns, stay focused,
and keep saving up. The Hella setup is quite interesting, and even perked up
my ears too. But @ an estimate of $80, that's almost a fifth of the price for a full
HID conversion kit from Sylvania ($499).

In the mean time, just replace the sealed beams with an improved set such as
either Cool Blues, or the new Silver Star sealed beams. I run a full set of CB's,
and the cost was around $12 a bulb. The only reason that I want to switch to
HID is so I don't have to bend my facia to service my headlights as much.
Otherwise, I'm very content with the new Sylvanias. The regular sealed beams
mentioned previously are just as powerfull as most H4 conversions in both
wattage, and color temperatures.

Automotive lighting technology has certainly come along way in the past 20+
years. Along with relay upgrades, and other tid bits, I don't know why new
headlamps arn't considered more of a priority. The next time you see either a
show, or a movie from the 80's, take a look at the lights on the car, and you'll
see the differance right away.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"