Re: oozing windshield sealant

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "K Creason" <dmc4687@xxxx> wrote:
> Q: I've had wet carpets in the past; and now I've noticed what
looks like
> tar oozing from underneath the windshield into the interior side of
the car.
> Could this have oozed out and created a leak point? How can one
tell? Can I
> take this to a shop and have it reseated?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin.
I've had this oozing problem on another car. The front windshield
bead used on DeLoreans is that squishy butyl stuff. It obviously can
dissolve under certain conditions.

I have successfully removed, and reinstalled my DeLorean's windshield.
It was not easy. I think the only reason I pulled it off, is because
I've broken windshields on previous attempts on other cars, and have
learned from my mistakes. Also, a number of little unrelated
problems popped up that might have to be ignored by a professional,
who's after all doing it for the money, and is under a time budget.
No offense intended.

Having done the job, I know what I would do, and not do, if I were in
your shoes.
I would remove the top windshield bezel plate, and seal the joint
between the top edge of the windshield with RTV sealant. Getting
this plate off is not too hard. The screws are hiding under the
weatherstripping.

I would be pretty liberal with the sealant. While I was there, I
would also try to seal the edges of the stainless steel bracket, the
one that holds down the bezel.
For good measure, I would put a blob of sealant over the screws that
hold the stainless steel bracket down(if they haven't rusted to
powder, that is), completely covering the screw holes.

Also, I would cover all the exposed underbody material with a thin
layer of the sealant as well, to prevent moisture from penetrating
the material, freezing, and cracking it, like it obviously had on my
car.

I would put up with the slow dripping of the black goo, and clean it
off the inside of the windshield from time to time like I did on the
car I owned which had that problem. The only cure for that is
replacement of the windshield bead.

It's overwhelmingly likely that only the top windshield bead is
leaking, so I would not worry about the sides, or the bottom of the
windshield.

I would not remove, rebead, and replace the windshield just for a
leaking top bead. This is certainly a very good and thorough thing
to do, but the risk of windhield breakage outweighs the benefit, it
would seem.

There's a good chance that the above tasks alone will seal a leak
between the windshield and underbody.

On my car, I've done all of these things. (though I also removed and
replaced the windshield) It, however, hasn't been exposed to rain,
so my success or failure is theoretical at this point. I hope never
to test it.

You might ask John Dore for advice, who to my understanding has
successfully fixed his leaking roof and windshield.

Rick Gendreau
11472