Re: [DML] Transmission computer parts?

Greg, You can use dipped tantalum ( 10 mf at 35volt) orange, as well as the
metal looking case or solid tantalum.( I also use 4.7mf at 35volt metal case)
Both have excellect moisture resistance. I use both. I have enough parts to
rebuild about 15 units if you have a hard time.
Mark is to my knowledge is no longer involved with Deloreans. He lived in the
Dallas area and came by my office 2 to 3 years ago. Haven't seen or heard
from him since.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

<< In the dmcnews archives Mark Hershey wrote an excellent article with
pictures about the rework done to the boards and identifying the
replacement components. I have been searching for the tantalum caps he
listed, but am having difficulty locating metal ones like the ones
shown. I can easily get the correct values ( 4.7 to 10 microfarad, 20 to
50 volt) but not in metal, only epoxy (yellow) in radial or axial leads.
I'm looking now in a Digikey catalog and see what looks like metal, but
says ceramic. Also, solid tantalum, 'wet slug', tantalum capacitors or
tantalum electrolytic capacitors, molded solid tantalum, please you EE
guys help a ME out, I'm on thin ice here. Are they all the same except
for size and rating?
Also, the .1uf caps on the back side of the board I can only find epoxy
and no voltage is identified.
Earth to Mark Hershey. I tried your phone number listed in the DOD, it
didn't work.
This is the first automatic transmission I have ever worked on, and one
of the caps is 'blown' like shown in Mark's write up. The car is my new
VIN# 6214 with only 9,600 miles.

Greg Linstad
pndc.org
VIN# 3507 "RUSTLSS"