Re: [DML] I'm considering a DeLorean, but I want to ask experts first.

Re: [DML] I'm considering a DeLorean, but I want to ask experts first.

In a message dated 1/11/03 8:43:00 AM Central Standard Time,
chrismoore@xxxx writes:

> 1 - Can I take my delorean to Jiffy Lube and get the oil changed for
> 19.95 without them looking at me like I'm insane? How hard is it
> REALLY to get yoru delorean worked on for those regular things, ie
> new brake shoes/pads, oil changes, new belts, radiator flushes, etc
> etc etc?

Chris,

just so happens that i am a Jiffy Lube store manager. unfortunately the
correct oil filter doesn't have an adequate cross reference in the US and
Jiffy Lube does not carry the DMC oil filter. however you can certainly buy
your own filters from your favorite DMC vendor and then Jiffy Lube should
have no problem - except for the drain plug! the drain plug is a peculiar
one, one that i have never seen on any other car that has ever come thru my
store. it is similar to a 3/8 drive slot, but smaller (metric). i made my
own tool by grinding down an old 3/8 ratchet. perhaps if you could find a
suitable tool (maybe the D vendors have one? or at least they would know
exactly what to use) THEN any oil change place should be able to do the job.
don't forget to tell them there are 4 grease fittings on the front
suspension! they are kind of hard to notice.

radiator flushes are no problem, however i would recommend making sure to
install DMC Joe's self-bleeding kit before hand. that way you will be sure to
get all the air out when doing a flush. belts are a piece of cake - again,
purchase your parts from the vendors and if you do not want to try the job,
ANY competent place should be able to get the job done for you.

in general, if you do not have the ability to do your own work (in all
likelyhood, you will learn to do this work as soon as you have your own car),
you can purchase the correct parts from a vendor and have someone else you
trust do the job for you. i would avoid following a mechanic's idea that he
can get the parts for you from carquest, napa, or whatever - often times it's
a close match but not exact - you always are sure to get the right stuff when
you order from DMC Houston, PJ Grady, DMC Joe, etc. might be a little more
expensive (sometimes it's actually cheaper!), but i would rather have peace
of mind knowing that i did the job w/o having to guess if something is going
to work ok.

Andy
Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596