Re:[DML] Spare Tire.

The tire size for the spare is fairly common. I typed in the tire
size T125/70D15 into Google, and that's how I found what other
vehicles it was used on (Eclipse, Alero, Malibu, Silhouette, etc).
Then I just went to www.car-parts.com, and looked the part up from
various junkyards (look in the catergory "wheels").

Just of of curiousity, when Goodyear said that they had never seen
the tire before, were they speaking of the specific size, or the tire
in general? Goodyear does indeed still makes spare tires. While it
isn't the same size, low-end Jeep Wranglers w/space saver tires do
say Goodyear on the side, and even have the exact same tread pattern
as the DeLorean spare. There is one catch here. When I went to a Wal
Mart tire place, my spare tire wouldn't fit properly into the machine
to seperate the tire (or atleast that's what the guy said), so you
may need to take the tire to a shop with the proper equipment, or a
small "mom n pop" type place where they can remove the tires by hand
to switch them. But the guy did wipe the wheel and tire, and
slathered a ton of sealant all over. Holds air ever since.

I've heard two theories about why the tires don't hold air. The
latter of the two makes sense.
1. Moisture can accumulate in the foam pads that the wheel rests on,
and can cause corrosion on the aluminium wheel, thus "eating" thru
the seal. My wheel didn't show any type of damage, and if this were
the case, I don't think the problem would be as common.

2. The spares were assembled by a subcontractor (when they were added
@ the QAC's) who never mounted and sealed the tires properly. This
make a bit more sense, and holds a bit more water since the spare is
made by a different company (Rockwell Intl.) than the stock wheels
(GKN)

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ihaveanaccount@xxxx wrote:
> I was recently quoted about $100 to replace the tire for my spare.
At Goodyear, they said they've never seen one of the tires before.
Any additional info about the oldsmobile minivan spare tire theory?
<SNIP>