Re: [DML] Re: Ah, the great R12 vs R134 debate... To:dmcnews@yahoogroups

Re: [DML] Re: Ah, the great R12 vs R134 debate... To:dmcnews@yahoogroups.com

I believe Mr. David Teitelbaum is correct on this one. Air condition and
refrigeration systems must be properly done with good equipment, especially,
the evacuating pump for the COMPLETE evacuation of atmospheric air in a
system. The cheaper or a weaker pump will not do it properly.

On the same breath, there are "hidden and long range damages" that can occur
from not evacuating the system properly. If I am not mistaking and if I do
remember the facts that I was taught, moisture which is actually atmosphere
air composed of different gases and when it is mixed with freon in the closed
system, it will turn in to hydrochloric acid and it will corrode your system
from inside out. This will lead to premature failure of the hoses and all
the components, especially the aluminum units such as your evaporator and
condenser. So, a decent evacuating pump if a must. Every bit of minuscule of
air must be removed!

Also as a rule of thumb, when a system is opened, as in a rupture, or a
component failure and when replacing the part or parts, the RECEIVER DRIER or
the DESICCANT BAG MUST BE CHANGED! Then immediately evacuate the system with
a REAL or an able commercial vacuum pump for at least a minimum of 20 minutes
and the longer evacuating, the better. One hour is best for an average car.
Afterwards, turn off the pump and do check your gauges to make sure the
system is sealed and holding vacuum, with no leaks.

With the pumps off and all valves shut, the gauges MUST be holding and
reading a complete vacuum with no movement in the gauges at all! Only then,
you can fill the system with the required type and the proper amount of
freon. If the gauges shows even a hair line of movement, it is an indication
of a leak, DO NOT FILL, for it is waste of the freon. You MUST check the
system again, to FIND and to CORRECT the leak or leaks in the system BEFORE
FILLING with the CORRECT AMOUNT, by USING the gauges and the PROPER STEPS to
introduce the freon into the system, with no ands, ifs and buts about it. Do
this correctly and you should have NO problems with your A/C system.

BTW, With some present cars and older cars, they have a "sight glass" which
is dedicated to that car's system. This sight glass is usually the best
indicator, for it shows "sight on seen" the amount of freon in the system
when the A/C is turned on. Bubbles means the system is low, clear means
fully or over charged or empty. The DeLorean does not have a sight glass, so
you have to depend on the gauges, unless, you add one onto the system for
your own conveniences.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY