Re: A/C Problem, Repairable?

I can't speak for ALL of the Delorean venders but P. J. Grady is
having the hoses made up new. They can be replaced without removing
the body, it requires bending the flange of the frame, not too bad.
You can also go to Classic Air in Florida, they can make up anything
A/C related. For the compressor you can send it to Classic Air or buy
a new one, they aren't that expensive. The accumulater is also
available. I have seen Sanyo compressors for the Delorean on E-Bay as
low as $50. I don't recomend R-134a, the system wasn't designed for
the pressures and the coils aren't sized right. I am using R-414A and
it seems colder then R-12! The problem with moisture isn't the
refrigerent, it is the mess it makes with the oil, turning it into a
soupy gunk that hardens and can clog the system and corrode the
internal parts. Best to completly disasemble the system, clean, flush,
purge, rod out, brush, or whatever you have to do to get the insides
clean. The mechanical parts need to be rebuilt like the compressor,
the accumulater should be replaced, and the orifice tube removed and
cleaned. Now you can put fresh refrigerent oil in, all new seals and
if you want this would be the time to convert. You should also make
sure that the bearings in the idler pulleys are good and maybe a new
belt. A complete overhaul of the A/C would include cleaning the
exterior of the evaparator coil and the condensor coil and the plenum
containing the evap coil. When you are all finished a GOOD shop will
do a performance test checking the temp drop over the coils and system
pressures to verify performance. You can also ask them to put in leak
detector so if you have any future leaks you can spot them easily. A
reputable shop should also give some kind of warranty if they have any
confidence in their work. In the area you are in you should be able to
find a good shop. See where the local car dealers send their cars. See
where the municipalities send their work, places like these usually
only go to places where they do good work and don't have callbacks. It
may seem more expensive then the local guy that shoots in a little
Freon but it won't leak right out 2 weeks later either. It is a case
of "You can pay me now or you can pay me later" only the later is over
many times because it is never fixed, just kept running. By not fixing
the leaks the oil comes out of the system and then you burn up the
compressor. The less you fuss with the A/C the longer it will last.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas@xxxx>"
<DMCVegas@xxxx> wrote:
> Nope, only purchased the car in California, I live in Las Vegas, NV.
So yeah,
> Air Conditioning here is a moral imperative. My A/C worked ok the
last
> summer, but I have driven without it. In my most embarassing D
moment,