Re: Fan Fail Relay

Dave

Twenty years ago I messed with this circuit and did rebuild a fan
relay. Don't waste your time. The module is not worth it. However,
this problem is as old as the DeLorean.

It was a problem from day one. No matter the car, circumstances will
eventually lead to the fans overloading the circuit. The problem is
more than just the fan fail module. Just a fuse harness will not fix
the root problems either. Those problems are a weak OEM circuit
breaker, a relay rated too low, an undercharged or clogged AC system
that caused rapid fan cycling, the fans cycling together.

The best fixes for purchase are from PJGrady (fanZilla) or John
Hervey (SpecialTauto.com). Hervey has a great selection of different
fixes for every budget that are all impressive. Also, I believe
there is some suggested wiring circuits posted in the tech files of
this wed site. On mine, I rewired the entire circuit for separate
relays and circuit breakers for each fan and, when I turn on the AC,
the fans stay on rather than cycle. I have used this on 3 DeLoreans
I have owned. Works great. In the summer, especially when I lived in
Houston, the temp stayed at the low end all the time.

The OEM circuit is a proven failure if not fixed correctly.

Harold McElraft - 3354