Re: Steering rack replacement

Although there are shims there and you can add and remove them to
adjust for manufacutring tolerances it isn't such a good idea to do it
for wear. The problem is that the rack tends to wear more in the
center of travel, less at the ends. If you adjust the "looseness" out
in the center you may make it too tight at the ends. Normaly when a
rack is "remanufacured" the rack is reground along it's entire length
and when reassembled now when you can adjust the play at any point in
it's travel and it is equal at all points. This is not to say you
can't remove a shim or two, just be sure to check the play at several
points in the position of the rack to make sure it doesn't bind
anywhere. If it was to "stick" it will interfere with being able to
return the wheel to center quickly and could be dangerous during
driving. If you are going to work on the brakes or steering be VERY
careful as if these two systems don't work PERFECTLY you could lose
control of the vehicle!
The procedure wasn't in the manual and many "field repairs" of parts
were never intended to be performed at the dealer service level. As
with most Auto manufacurers it was intended to either send parts back
to a wharehouse for rebuilding or just outright replacement. The
Dealers are not reembursed for rebuilding service parts, just removing
and replacing them to keep the times down. This applies to water
pumps, starters, alternaters, radiaters, A/C compressors et al. The
situation is now completly different due to the limited availability
of some parts, cost, and the perserverence of the owners. In fact it
is one of the main reasons for the DML, to share info on keeping the
Delorean going!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mgutkowski@xxxx" <webmaster@xxxx>