Re: [DML] biggest speaker possible in rear speaker holes

Re: [DML] biggest speaker possible in rear speaker holes

Actually John, the "Impedance" quoted on speakers is the same as the DC
resistance - put an ohm-meter across the terminals and you'll see what I
mean.

"Impedance" is the word for "resistance" in a dynamic (eg ac) environment.
A speaker is one big inductor - whose unit is the Henry. However, from a
simplified point of view, the amplifier can be matched to a load *as if it
were a resistor*, so speakers are sold with a rating of their impedance.

Most stereos will have an output load of between 4 and 16 ohms. The lower
the impedance, the harder the amplifier will have to work and depending on
the quality, the worse but also louder it will sound.

I've copied this onto dmc_electrics as this is going a bit too far off
topic IMO.

Martin