Re: [DML] biggest speaker possible in rear speaker holes

Re: [DML] biggest speaker possible in rear speaker holes

Robert, Martin, etc. -

maybe what i need is suggestions on what i should be doing. replacing the
rear speakers in their stock location with something acoustically better, or
building something into the rear wall.

Right now i have my dash speakers disconnected and i have Don Steger's kick
pods installed for my front sound stage (i was going to run the dash speakers
as tweaters but a local stereo shop said that will be more trouble than it's
worth since i'm running off the deck and not a crossover). in the rear,
there are MTX 4x10's (i think - PO did it) but they are very low power and
sound terrible with my alpine deck. my weakness is now the rear sound stage.
eventually i want to put a single 10" sub in a box on the rear shelf,
however i'm sure i will need to get the rear mids/soundstage sorted out first
or else it will sound really odd. should i try to mount maybe some 6x9's or
something in the rear wall on the far sides and put a sub in the middle (it
would be in a custom box sitting on the shelf) and disconnect the side
speakers? or should i use the stock locations to fill the rear a little more
and settle for a smaller speaker?

basically i don't care about the low-end from the main speakers, but i have
to have good mids and high end in order to have a sub round out the big
picture.

perhaps with this in mind i can get some more specific recommendations on the
way to go?

Thanks!
Andy

In a message dated 12/30/02 1:56:03 PM Central Standard Time,
DMCVegas@xxxx writes:

> Mounting speakers in the rear is a great idea, but I wouldn't
> consider this an alternative. I have 6x9" 3channel infinity Kappas
> mounted in individual boxes sitting on the rear parcel shelf. And the
> stock 4x10" one's are disconnected. This has created a "dead zone"
> for sound between the seats and the doors. Sitting in a car with the
> stock system in place, the sound is not as clear as newer
> speakers/system, but the range is fuller because you have sound on
> the sides, and not just the center. If you're going just for base, or
> anything like that, then you won't notice anything. But if you're
> going for clairity all fullness, then I would reccomend to swap out
> the rear speakers as well.

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102