Re: Bah humbug! Santa brought me a melted fuse box...

Re: Bah humbug! Santa brought me a melted fuse box...

Travis

Interesting how the DeLoreans do this, isn't it? I have had to do a
few of these and the most effective repair was to put a blade fuse
in the circuit; i.e. go around the box. John H. is right, you should
solder the splice. After you disconnect the battery, the fuse box
comes up easily enough for you to find the pair going to the melted
fuse in the block. Cut them and splice in a new fuse holder. The
wires on the replacement fuse holders allow for enough wire to place
them out of the way but yet be accessible.

I have a theory about why this happens on DeLoreans. It is because
the battery is underneath the fuse compartment. There is a service
bulletin about making sure the battery box vent is clear but, there
is still not enough ventilation to keep out the vapors from the
battery. The vapors cause contacts to corrode, the connections
become ineffective, heat begins to build, and finally a meltdown. On
cars that are driven every day, for example, I have seen no or few
problems. But, let them set with doors and windows closed and this
problem pops up regularly. The problem seems even more pronounced on
cars where a battery tender or charger is used.

To prevent this problem on the remaining fuses in my car and to make
sure the problem does not occur on other contacts I first put a
switch on the battery to disconnect it when the car is going to set
for any length of time. Next, I have replaced the fuses nearly every
year and applied a little contact cleaner to the blades of the fuses
and relays. So far so good (ten years of this routine).

Harold McElraft - 3354