Re: [DML] biggest speaker possible in rear speaker holes

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kevin Abato" <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> I found it to be too much of a pain to replace those.
>
> This is what I did instead:
> http://www.abato.net/web/dmcspeak/index.htm

Mounting speakers in the rear is a great idea, but I wouldn't
consider this an alternative. I have 6x9" 3channel infinity Kappas
mounted in individual boxes sitting on the rear parcel shelf. And the
stock 4x10" one's are disconnected. This has created a "dead zone"
for sound between the seats and the doors. Sitting in a car with the
stock system in place, the sound is not as clear as newer
speakers/system, but the range is fuller because you have sound on
the sides, and not just the center. If you're going just for base, or
anything like that, then you won't notice anything. But if you're
going for clairity all fullness, then I would reccomend to swap out
the rear speakers as well.

I've been told that 6x4" will fit nicely, although many speaker
manufacturers do still make the 4x10" size. Kenwood makes these with
160 watts peak, and are 3 channels as well I believe. Other than
that, don't go overboard with the speakers inside. You biggest
concern will probably be to soundproof the floor boards. Once you
overcome this, you can focus on clarity rather than loudness. And due
to the DeLorean's smaller than normal cockpit, a little bit of
speaker power goes quite a long way. Only if you put a bazooka tube
under the dash would you need an amp. I run 4 3-way speakers, and 2
tweeters inside, and all are powered off the headunit.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"