Re: Seat Track Disassembly

Hi Dave.

The seat tracks on my car were rusted solid prior to rework. It was
not necessary to dissassemble them before sandblasting. They came
out great. I couldn't believe it. This was what I did:

Free the motion with a hammer (mine were REALLY rusty)

Sandblast, inside and out, fully assembled.

Slide the sliding part back and forth until the tracks stopped
sounding gritty. This, as a side effect, cleaned the rust off the
balls and off the inside of the track, which were also rusty on my
car's seat tracks.

Paint, making a halfhearted effort not to deliberately paint the
inside of the track.

Lubricate the interior with synthetic grease.

That was that. They move like new, probably better.

I suppose the residue of abrasive might shorten the life of the
tracks by a few thousand cycles, but I don't intend to subject my
seat tracks to the tens of thousands of cycles needed to find out.
One might try to clean out the last residues of abrasive, but I
didn't bother. I don't feel it matters.

>From my experience, taking apart the seat tracks prior to
sandblasting sounds like a good idea that sounds like a good idea.

Rick Gendreau 11472

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle <dswingle@xxxx>"
<dswingle@xxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone taken the seat tracks completely apart? I want to take
> them apart and clean/repaint. I have the tracks off the seat, but I
> want to take the runners apart prior to sandblasting/painting.
Since