Re: [DML] Re: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter

Re: [DML] Re: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter

In a sense everyone is right here. Excess fuel will build up in the cat and
eventually burn even though the combustion temps themselves are lower. An
extremely lean condition will bring combustion temps way up and result is
very high exhaust temps. For example, anyone running a turbocharger system
that has had an intake tube connection come loose would have seen a really
lean mix causing the exhaust manifolds to glow red. It wouldn't be very
likely that this would cause a failure of the convertor unless the car was
driven that way for a prolonged period; an unlikly event as the car would be
running pretty poorly under that condition.

Bruce Benson