Re: Metal coolant bottle

When I installed a metal coolant header bottle on my car I also
thought it would be neat to have a sight gauge to see the fluid level.
I couldn't find any clear tubing that would take the heat and
pressure. What I ended up doing was running a tube from the overflow
fitting under the pressure cap to an overflow bottle. Now the coolant
system is always presureized so it cannot foam and I can always see
the level and even add some without opening the coolant system. This
is exactly how it is now done on all modern cars. My advice would be
to plug the fittings that go to the sight glass hose and install an
overflow bottle. Be careful with the fitting under the pressure cap.
On my bottle it was only a press fit so it can come loose. I
reinstalled it with some silicone for a leakproof seal since it is
under slight pressure and vacuum.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757