Re: Found a semi local delorean for sale

Re: Found a semi local delorean for sale

I have to disagree, I don't think an automatic will store any worse
then a 5-speed. I would change the fluid, but that is a good thing to
do in any case after a long period of storage (don't forget the final
drive which is separate from the trans). The thing that would worry me
more would be the brake system. Brake fluid actively absorbs moisture
from the air and then will corrode the internals of the brakes. As
soon as you start using them they will then leak. Ditto for the clutch
system so I guess you could say an automatic would store better. The
thing that stores the worst is the battery and it will destroy the
area around it. Another thing to look for is wiring damage from
rodents. Open up all of the covers and look for droppings and "fluff".
They love to make nests and urinate in the car. Lastly if the car was
not stored on pavement or concrete the frame will rust from the
moisture in the ground, check the crumple zone and the engine mount
area, that is where the frames start to rust out. Before trying to
start the car I would clean out the gas tank and refill with fresh
fuel and turn the motor over by hand a revolution or two. Depending on
condition, mileage, what extras are included, a "dead" Delorean can be
worth as little as $5,000 or as much as $10,000. If it isn't running
engine work and fuel system work is expensive and if you can't get the
motor running you don't know if the automatic trans is OK. Figure on a
complete brake job and probably some A/C work, a tune-up and cooling
system service minimum. Add tires, some cosmetic work, struts, a
window regulater and you easily are up to $3000 just in parts.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207 <brobertson@xxxx>"