Door Strut Ball Joint

For some time now, I have noticed that there was a little bulge in the roof stainless t-panel on the leading edge of the passenger side, right above where the ball joint for the door strut is located. The problem was that the pressure from the strut had pulled one end of the metal bracket away from the fiberglass. I didn't really know what to do, and this is a recount of the "solution" I came up with - comments are welcome:

What ever it is that the bolts screw into on the other side of the fiberglass was not holding any more - the bolt just turned and turned. I took that bolt out and thought about some kind of a molly screw, but figured it wasn't up to the task of supporting that much weight. (For those who have never seen this part of the car, this fiberglass piece is a "bubble" filled with foam - there is no easy way to get inside to put a nut on the back of a bolt.) So, I drilled a new hole through the bracket and fiberglass to the right of the original hole. Then, I used a Dremmel to cut a small window in the fiberglass above where the bolt went in. This window gave me enough room to put a washer and nut on the end of the bolt, and space to hold it with a small wrench. I tightened it down, then filled the hole I had created with epoxy. Seems good as new, and I don't think I comprised the strength of the structure (liberal use of epoxy).

I should mention that the hole into which the ball screws was not bent at all. The bracket was in good shape. I know that Rob Grady makes a heavy duty bracket, but I don't think that it is meant to solve the problem I had.

I have no idea if anyone else has had this problem, but I am curious to hear thoughts on the matter.

Brent Beecher vin 893