Re: [DML] Re: BAE Turbo Charger for the Delorean.

Re: [DML] Re: BAE Turbo Charger for the Delorean.

I don't ususally argue with David, but this time I
must correct some of what he had to say about turbo's.

First, the Island kit is twin turbo kit. Island has
never offered a single turbo kit. Yes, there is some
turbo lag, but it is not significant. Returning from
turbo to standard is extremely easy and, unless you
have a concours car, no one would ever know.

I have run over 7+ pounds of boost on two different
cars. Between the two cars I accumulated almost
100,000 miles with turbos. NO cam changes, NO piston
changes, NO rings changes, etc. Neither engine ever
had "internal engine problems". There were no
transmission problems, either. Yes, timing is
changed, but that is by "recurving" the distributor.

On my first car, an '81 AUTOMATIC, the turbos were
never rebuilt (47,0000 miles). On my current car, an
'83
5 speed, the turbos were rebuilt after 48,000 miles.
Total rebuild cost(by a DeLorean vendor), parts and
labor, was quite resonable (cheap, in fact, when you
consider the amount of fun provided by those turbos).

I do use premium fuel. I seldom have any
pre-ignition.

Bottom line: Turbocharging, like any other means of
increasing horsepower, has advantages and
disadvantages. However, in my opinion, it is a
viable, reliable and satisfactory way of getting to
185-200 hp without basic changes to the PRV engine and
without affecting reliability.

Dick Ryan