Re: [DML] Re: 001697 is no more.

Just a word of caution about insurance companies "totaling" a car.

The scam they play is they claim that they are paying you for the "Full" value of the car which was on your insurance policy.

However, once they settle the claim and get your car, they sell it on the repair market and get substantial amounts of money for it.

In the case of a Damaged Delorean, allot of people in the parts business know that a parted out DeLorean can easily be worth more than the whole car.

What this means, is that the insurance company will probably get $ 4-5,000 for your car. This also means that they really did not give the full coverage that you paid for in your insurance.

Even if you don't fix the car, absolutely insist that you get the keep the car. Do not give it to them. This is the only way you will get the real value of the DeLorean..

I learned this lesson the hard way years ago when my first car got "totalled" a 1969 camaro. :-( Some drunk old man broadsided it. They told me it could not be fixed and they gave me $1500 for it. And took my car. Later I found out through a title search that the car was bought and repair and sold to two other people. It disappeared in 1972 with no further information available. :-\

I just went through the same thing with my sons 75 Oldsmobile. A 16 year old kid blew a stop sign and literally drove into the drivers rear. (He was on his cell phone! :-D ;-) )

Anyway, the kids insurance company Safeway ( not a nice company) tried to total this air bag prototype vehicle. Needless to say they did not get the car and paid for the damages, but only after letting them known that I know their game.

No car is every really totalled. Only the costs to repair it exceed its value. If you love your D like I do mine - I would fix it.

No one ever totals a Dusenburg or a real AC cobra.

B OB