Re: annoying misfire

If the engine is not running smoothly there are 2 major reasons for
it. There could be a breakdown of the secondary ignition system ie, a
bad spark plug (worn, badly gapped, leaking, cracked) or a bad
ignition wire. If it is breaking down in the well you can't see it. If
the wires are old or look crummy or are hard just replace them.
The other main area IS the fuel injectors. To do them properly you
must remove ALL of them and put them on a Fuel Injector Tester. With
this piece of equipment you can clean them, inspect the spray pattern
and verify opening and holding pressure. I suggest you also replace
the injector seals and the copper sealing gaskets.
Of course all of this is assuming the engine is mechanically healthy
meaning you did a compression check and all of the cylinders are
within 10% (5% is even better) and that there are no vacuum leaks. A
local Volvo dealer should be able to check your fuel injectors or you
can send them to a Delorean vender. This is something you cannot do at
home without the injector tester. What you can do at home is to remove
all of the injectors from the engine, place them in cups, disable the
ignition system and crank the engine for about 10 seconds. Compare the
amount of fuel in each cup. If it is different disconnect the
injectors from the hoses and try again. If it is still different the
fuel distributer may be the problem. One of the ports going to a fuel
injector could be damaged or plugged up. Check the numbers on the
side of the fuel injectors, it is critical that they are all matched.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757