Re: Steering column rattling

Climb underneath the dashboard. Look up at the steering column. You
will see what appears to be a "birdcage" type of outer support for the
column. Carefully examine it for any breaks. You may need someone to
move the steering wheel up and down while you look underneath. This
area of the column is meant to collapse in the event of a head-on
collision but I have seen where it breaks under normal use. It can be
repaired by removing it, disassembling the column, welding the broken
parts of the "birdcage" and reassembling. Make sure the adjusting
hardware for the up-down is correctly installed and tight too. There
is supposed to be a knob on the lower right side of the steering
column to lock the column in place. If the hardware to lock the column
is not installed correctly it will cause a rattling and make the
column hard to lock in place.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, RJRavalli@xxxx wrote:
> I think I've slightly narrowed down where the rattling from my
steering column is coming from. My steering wheel moves very slightly
up and down, almost like some wheel adjustor part is loose. So when I
hit a hard bump, my column is hitting on the top or bottom of
something else and is making noise. My wheel shouldn't move like
that, right? Is there something I can check to make sure it stays
locked in place, or to see if something is broken? If it is, is there
any kind of basic replacement?

> Any help would be appreciated...I need to solve this very annoying
problem. It causes me to have to place a slight pressure down on the
steering wheel all the time while driving in order to avoid the
bumping. Anyone know what's going on?