Luggage Rack Installation?

Today, I finally picked up a luggage rack for my car! Soooo, now I need to
install it. However, I too am just a little jittery about installing it. I say, "too"
because that seemed to be pretty common in the archive messages that I
read. Anywhoo, I have a few questions about the installation as you can
guess.

1. My car is a Nov 81 build, and while I've not yet pulled the weatherstripping
back, I have read that cars earlier than mine are missing the rivets to align the
template with. Any tips here on lining things up?

2. I know that I should indent where I'm going to drill first with a scratch awl to
keep the drill bit in place. But, can anyone reccomend the proper type of bit to
use in the drill? (i.e carbide tipped)

3. If I cut the rubber as the instructions say, just on the bottom only, will this
interfere with the bracket when the attachment bolts are flipped up to mount
the rack?

While I've yet to install the rack, I did read that the only problem with it was on
trips, bugs will smash into your cargo making a mess. Particularly suitcases.
So I figure what I'll do is get a large peice of finnished black waterproof
canvas, and have long locking straps like the ones that came in the kit sewn
onto it. That will cover the cargo, and keep it clean and dry. Plus if I does get
dirty on the trip, I can simply have it laundered at any hotel I would check into.
But, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself here...

As usual, thanks in advance!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"