Another update on my tuneup, not going good.

Another update on my tuneup, not going good.

Well, I announced yesterday that after doing a tune up twice (or at least
dismantling it twice) I was able to get the car running again. Even though
I had a small vacuum leak, I was proud of being able to finally get it
running again. I took it to work today, and it ran fine except for it had
hardly any power below 3,000 rpms, but still ran relatively smooth. When I
took it to lunch, the idle was extremely low, and I found the wires on the
connector at the idle speed motor were damaged. I could hold it straight up
and it would smooth out, but when I let it go it would nearly die. I drove
off anyway, but when I got to a stop the car died from the RPM drop and then
wouldn't restart at all. I cranked on it for a few minutes and it finally
stumbled to life. I carefully drove it home (I was a half mile away) and
never let off the gas.

The wires on the connector don't look severed, but obviously are damaged
enough to not get a good connection. They are worn right before the go into
the connector. What would be the best way of fixing this? I can see how
this would cause the car to die at a stop occasionally, but would it keep it
from restarting?

What would cause my loss of power at low RPMs? I had a vacuum leak at the
intake plenum, but it is temporarily patched with silicone and I don't hear
it hissing anymore. Is this a fuel problem? All of the injectors are
perfectly clean at the tips, and of course I have a new Bosch distributor
cap, rotor, plugs, and wires which were purchased from a DeLorean parts
vendor so I know they are for the right application. It never had this loss
of power before I attempted all of this. It would always pick up smoothly
from any RPMs.

Thanks for all your help again!

payne