Re: [DML] Re: The D gets cheaper every day.

Re: [DML] Re: The D gets cheaper every day.

In a message dated 10/7/2002 9:27:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, CBL302@xxxx
writes:

> Expecially since the Delorean has no important History
> behind it(Street or track racing or Legendary figures/time eras ect.
> behind it)Yes I know JZD,Lotus,and Ital-Design,BUT all the negative
> things/problems knocked it out of wack,The gullwing doors is Not what
> makes the car special,as the Bricklin has those,THE thing that makes
> it special is THE STAINLESS STEEL SKIN,and the "cult" like following
> that it has.

You know I have to chime in on this one. I don't want to get into a "no this
is what makes it special" match or anything but I have to disagree with a few
points here. No Story? What about "Top GM executive, creator of the GTO,
quits cushy job to start new car company in North Ireland," "DeLorean car to
be built in unconventional manner including stainless steel skin and gull
wing doors," "Will the dream be realized?", and "All hopes lost as DMC
crashes into Gallway Bay, Delorean ruined in court proceedings after court
proceedings. Only 8500 (rounded estimate) cars sold, dream over." Show me
another car with that story. This car had all the makings of a celebrity the
minute it was first penciled. Even before the DML, the internet, or the DOA
this car was not relegated to the ranks of the VW Scirrocco or Isuzu Impulse.
It is speacial for what it is, gullwings and all. Yes the stainless figures
in, but there is a hell of a body to go along, a rear engine, Lotus
suspension design, gullwing doors that draw stares from half the world every
time they are opened, and a stance a bit taller than a door stop wedge. I
know that the stainless is cool, but it doesn't make the car b/c my car is
red and I still receive every bit of recognition found by other owners. It is
a mixture of things. But saying that the car has no story went too far and
needed to be addressed.

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527