Re: [DML] Re: Problem with Lockzilla

Elvis, I have relay's in stock for the door lock mod. I've said for almost
two years they need to be replaced. When I see them they are chared real bad
and people wonder why the solenoids don't work.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
Your Delorean parts store.

<< Like I said some days ago, the Door Lock Module drains 13mA during standby.
And that's not zero ! You don't even need to measure it, just take a look at
the schematic and
use the formula invented by Mr. Ohm.
I modified about 10 modules, and never had to replace the caps so far !
The relays need to be replaced because the contacts are always worn.
That's due to the fact, that the power for the relays only comes from the
caps.
While they are discharged (relays close contact) the voltage of the caps
drops
and also the current in the coil. The force of the relay depends of I*n
(I=current, N=number of windings). Now when the force drops slowly (and
that's how the module is designed to do), the contacts burn a little bit
everytime they have to open the circuit. In some cases the contacts may
stick together like being welded. That's exactly when you need new selenoids
afterwards. I talked to a friend who works for Marquardt (they make any kind
of switches, also the electronic keys for Mercedes) and he said reducing the
force slowly is the worst thing you can do for a contact.

Normaly these modules should all be replaced but this wouldn't be original
anymore. Instead replace the relays and the system will be ok for some more
years.

Elvis & 6548